Sunday 26 January 2014

Tits and cock keep things moving

Very quiet on patch on the bird front... but then I have already got most everything I'm likely to get before spring. Still marching slowly in the right direction though.

A flock of long tailed tits down near the lake last week, followed by a woodcock over the garden a few evening just begged for a witty and suggestive post title, and more importantly take me to 67.59% for the year.

Had a much more exciting, if untickable encounter on patch this week though. I bumped into a couple of otters fishing in the stream that runs along the western patch boundary. Luckily I was downwind, and managed to follow them upstream for around half an hour or so. At their closest they were no more than 20 feet away from me.


It does zero to increase my patch tally -- but definitely counts as my most amazing wildlife encounter "on-patch" -- and up there with the best of them.

Unfortunately it was a "grab the bins and go" sort of morning... so the "proper" camera was left sitting ont the kitchen worktop. I was left juggling the mobile phone and bins and managed this record shot to mark the occasion.

Happy days!

No comments:

Post a Comment