Saturday 12 January 2019

It is I, Tintin

Greetings

Thank you most heartily for allowing me to enter that most hallowed of competitions, the Golden Mallard. I can't claim I will bring you tales of cripplers and megas, rarities and vagrants, days spent scouring the seas for errant petrels. In fact, if I bring you tales of anything even half interesting I'll be surprised.

I must correct an error. I see "Winchburgh" has been listed as my patch. Winchburgh? That washed up, former shale mining village with no more birds than a crappy urban park! No, my fabled patch is around Philpstoun, a former shale mining village with no more birds than a crappy urban park. Quite different I'm sure you'll agree.

To introduce this avian paradise here it is...




The highlights? The Union Canal, some fairly poor woodland, and a flooded field. Stunning I'm sure you'll agree.

Best bird by some considerable margin was a hobby that shot over on my birthday several years ago.

So far this year the patch has probably already shot its bolt with a couple of waxwing, better birds may be hard to find. A singing dipper this morning added some winter delight but we shall see how the rest of the year goes. 

Snowy! Here boy!

PS Did The Proclaimers mention that I found the best bird on his patch in recent years?

No comments:

Post a Comment