Tuesday 14 April 2020

Patch reduction

Morning all. A brief report from Wanstead where my patch has reduced from 2 square miles to my garden. I am talking social distancing very seriously - other local birders insist that daily exercise means birding the patch from dawn 'til dusk, more fool them. As such my list is probably going to take a bit of a beating as I'm not going to get Ring Ouzels and Redstarts on my lawn am I now? However those lost birds can be replaced by noc-migging records can they not? As in ones where I'm awake listening, not ones where I'm asleep and the sound recorder is doing all the work. Although with the T2006 how would we know?

Anyhow, like the rest of the UK/Eire I added Common Scoter last weekend before I went to bed which was a full fat patch tick, and I've also recorded Oyc and Tawny Owl which had I not been snoring my head off indoors would have been new for the year....

Skywatching is also de rigeur these days, and so for my second full fat patch tick I've added Raven, all of which nonsense takes me to 75%.



3 comments:

  1. Well done on the patch ticks and I hope you manage to keep birding. I do realise how lucky I am to have a rural patch right out the back gate. Good luck to all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang on! Two square MILES? I thought this was a modern Euro-centric challenge, not some dodgy harking-back-to-the Empire old fashioned nonsense. Is it the case that new entrants are discriminated by some Grandfather ruling in being limited to a metric 2km2? I think I'm going out to expand my patch, and hang the covid regulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm - just noticed this comment and I can see there will need to be an enquiry on the matter. Please prepare your defences and submit all relevant documentation in a fat brown envelope addressed to my good self at the usual address forthwith

    ReplyDelete