Monday 30 November 2020

Dedication's what you need

I'm a record breaker! Late morning I took a break from session comedy and wandered down to the local lake to find a White-fronted Goose. There have been stragglers all over the south-east so I felt quietly confident. Needless to say I returned empty-handed. As soon as I got back from the most distant pond on the patch I was sent a message to say that there was a White-fronted Goose there. Gah!! Shurely shome mishtake? With time even more severely against me that my prior visit I resorted to my bicycle and raced back. And sure enough, galling though it was, there was WFG floating around on the pond. Don't ask me as I just don't know. I would like to think that if I was specifically looking for a WFG that I wouldn't look straight through a WFG, but stranger things have happened....

Photo by J Heal, my recording engineer

But why am I a record-breaker? Well, this little Russian goose is species 119 for the patch this year, eclipsing by one my previous record set way back in 2013. Unbelievably this is only just good enough for a podium place in 2020, bloody Crag Martins, and I remain quite worried that Seppy is going to spend December bribing local birders to release yet more rare wildfowl on the lake behind his gaff....

108.84%


1 comment: