Yes indeedy, so there I was slumped over me aldi crisp and strawberry breakfast cereal at 8.29 this very am, when I got a call informing me that a barolo shearwater had just gone west past Seven Heads close in (approx 17km east of Galley). Quick as lightening, I grabbed me scope & tripod, thermal mug of tae and me wellies and tazzed up the road, but would I make it in time?
I arrived at the empty seawatching spot at 8.50, but how fast do small shearwaters fly anyway?
After several anxious minutes of scanning, trying to convince myself that there was still time, suddenly I got on a shearwater that was way smaller than the manxies piling past. "Thats tiny" I thought. And it was. As it flew a bit closer, I could make out the white face, and the more fluttery flight, but the size was the most striking feature.
I clocked the time of the sighting at 9.09 am - just 44 minutes after it had gone past 7 Heads - but luckily I had been faster!
Happy daze! My second on Galley, after the New Old Snowy winning one of last August.
No comments:
Post a Comment