Thursday 3 January 2013

Off to a standing start

Well, I finally succumbed to pressure and agreed to enlist with the motley crew here for the "original" (and still the... err... best?) Patch Challenge, pretenders and upstarts be damned.

So naturally dawn on the first of January saw me... well, still in bed actually.

In fact, as I write this I still haven't ventured outside the front gate (or the back gate, come to that) of The Towers. Some say it's apathy, but I blame the man flu that's doing the rounds here in the arse end of Ireland. Ask Seppy about it if you don't believe me.

Not to worry... so far in/from the garden have picked off 29 species over the last couple of days... an immacculate grey wag among the most handsome of specimens, and a fly over raven, always nice to see. Plenty more to come I suspect, and who knows, one of these days I might even wander around the patch proper.

The great thing about a nice little nondescript inland patch like mine is that, because the average tally is so much lower than coastal hot-spots (like Galley, for instance), my lazy 29 puts me somewhere north of 35% if I've done the maths right. Sometimes it pays to be a "lowlisting tart", as Seppy puts it so eloquently.

Onwards and... well, onwards anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment